Fun facts about silkDid you know …
- …that a silk rope is stronger than an equally thick metal wire?
- …that half a kilo of caterpillars eats up to 12000 kilograms of mulberry tree leaves In its lifetime?
- …that a silk worm eats 40000 times its own weight's worth of mulberry tree leaves between its birth and its pupating?
- …that the fiber has an average width of 20 µm?
(µm = micrometer, i.e. 1 millionth of a meter)
- …that it takes up to 10 kg of cocoons to obtain 1 kg of silk.
- …that one single filament can reach a lenght of up to 4000m?
- …that it takes more than 25 mulberry trees to obtain 3 kg of silk?
- …that a single silk worm can produce up to 15m of fiber per minute?
- …that the silk worm increases in weight by the factor 12000 within 4 weeks of being born?
- …that the silk worm grows to 25 times its size over the first 4 weeks?
- …that a silk dress requires almost 70 kg of mulberry tree leaves?
© 2014 silkfabric.info